Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Companies I love: Apple Inc

Published- May 17 2009
By Tony Cookson

My only experience with Macintosh computers is troubleshooting Macs in my former job as a User Support Associate at Montana State University's computer labs. Most of the computers in the lab were PCs, but a select few were Macs. I loved getting questions and helping people who came to the labs, but I loathed helping people who had problems with the Mac computers. I dreaded Mac questions because (1) I had no idea what I was doing and (2) neither did they. In fact, I suspect that the only people who wandered into the Mac section didn't know what they were getting themselves into (i.e., they couldn't tell a Mac from a PC).

I am a PC and I will never be a Mac. I am too accustomed to the Windows interface, and let's face it, Microsoft did an amazing job designing Windows. Even if you don't think that Windows is great, I suspect that no company in the last 30 years has had such a profound effect on our lives. Without an easy-to-use interface, personal computers would have never appealed to ordinary people. It would be hard to imagine the internet, high-tech boom -- let alone ordering flowers or food online!

But, this is a post about why I love Apple, not why I love Microsoft. I detest using Macs. I have a Verizon phone, not an iPhone. I don't really see the point of iPods or iTunes. Instead, I choose to sing my own "I tunes," listen to the radio or listen to internet radio. Moreover, as I type this post, I use Internet Explorer, Microsoft Windows, a Gateway computer, and a Dell monitor. About the only thing I consume from Apple is their advertisements. In this world, how can I love Apple?

One word: competition. Especially recently, Apple has provided much needed competititon to the personal computer market. As a result, companies like Windows, Intel, Dell, HP, and the rest of the PC universe have been scrambling for improvements to their own products. On account of competition, we get faster processors, more efficient operating systems, better monitors, and lower prices. These are improvements that I get to enjoy, even if I never resort to switching from PC to Mac.

Some day I might try some product produced by Apple. That day isn't today, but that doesn't stop me from loving Apple. Because Apple exists, I get a better PC at a lower price. As an added bonus, I also get to enjoy Mac's quirky advertisements!

you may see this link for the full version of the texts above...
http://empiricalobservation.blogspot.com/2009/05/companies-i-love-apple.html


1 comment:

  1. Dear Zrael,

    This is Tony Cookson, the author of the above post. In general, it is not fair use of original content to post the entire text of an article written by someone else on your blog. In other words, your posting of my article without my consent is a violation of copyright law.

    As the author, and therefore the owner of the copyright of this article, I request better attribution. Specifically, if you want to keep the content (and your comment) on your blog, here's what you can do:

    1. Please only quote a snippet of my post that you find especially interesting. You didn't write the article. Therefore, it is not fair use to post the entire article on your blog. According to copyright law, it is only appropriate to post a segment of someone else's material to convey your point, and then post a link for the full text.

    2. Direct your readers to my site via a link back to the original source of this post. Here's the link.

    http://empiricalobservation.blogspot.com/2009/05/companies-i-love-apple.html

    I care about this because I derive value from people discovering my blog and seeing what else I like to write about (I write about more than just technology). If my material gets out without attribution, that undermines my purpose in writing the original post. Let's work together, so both of our objectives as bloggers are accomplished.

    I appreciate your speedy resolution of this issue. I'll check back on your blog in a couple of days to make sure that it is done.

    Questions? contact: tony.cookson+blog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete